Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Monday, July 11, 2005

An Endless Book Signing

My last Saturday in Manila and I think I am slightly crazy.

My husband and are I are standing line at 9AM to get our books signed by Neil Gaiman. We think that 9AM is early for a 3PM book signing but there are more than 100 people already standing around, with a slightly smug expression of arriving at Powerplant early. The crowd is scattered with some goth kids, middle-aged comic fans like us and a few moms. At around 9:15, I spot this tall man with messy hair sauntering towards the tent. He's wearing a black leather jacket (in this weather!) and black jeans. It took about 10 seconds for it to register in everybody's head that THE Neil Gaiman was heading our way. After a pause and a drumroll (in my head), the females in the crowd let out a collective sigh and slight yelp of recollection. By the time we realize who's in our presence, Neil is safely inside the Tent, judging entries from the art contest. I swore not to swoon, but it was just so awesome.

The line starts moving and we get Nos. 151 and 153, not bad. We kill time watching Fantastic Four and meet up with some friends.

Back to the Tent at 3PM to check out the book reading and the crowds have swollen five times the size. We get inside the tent but the salty smell of the air, the tight space and the high pitch whine of the Late Isabel makes me nauseous. At 4:15, Neil is finally introduced to the crowd amid cheers. He tells us Pinoys seem to be an enthusiastic bunch of people. Right he is. We hang on to his every word as he launches into excerpts from his newest novel Anansi Boys. After hearing him live, I make a mental note to buy an audio book of his.

At 4:45, the line finally starts moving for the book signing. By 7PM, numbers 150-180 are invited to join the line. By 8PM, we are finally a few feet away from him. As I formulate what I'm going to say to him, the host announces Neil will take a ten minute dinner break. I feel my heart fall because that evening, we were hosting my husband's birthday party and my goodbye despidida at home. My hubby turns to me and says he'd better leave because our guests would be waiting. I feel so bad for him because he is such a fan but I know that we have responsibilities too to our guests. I take over the books, and my sister stands in my husband's place.

When I finally meet Neil - I inform him the book will be dedicated to my son. He gives me a tired smile, as he scribbles Best Fishes and draws a fish. Then I tell him about my recurring Neil Gaiman book signing dream wherein he was really and old grandma (who looks remarkable like Estelle Getty of the Golden Girls). Neil gives me a faint smile and says he feels like a grandma. A few pictures and we're done.

So that was my Neil Gaiman moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home