Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lightening Up

This whole cooking lifestyle change for 2007 is real work. Good thing I have my handy dandy kitchen helpers.

#1. My favorite cookbook

The Best Light Recipe


I've always been a fan of America's Test Kitchen and the Cooks Illustrated magazines, thanks to my sister/pastry chef/kitchen mistress Rachel. The recipes are always on target, often needing only salt and pepper adjustments to match the individual palate. My favorite recipes in this book are the low fat glazes for broiling and grilling fish. They have the Hoisin and Ginger Glaze, Mustard and Brown Sugar Glaze, the Honey and Chipotle Glaze and the Sesame Soy Glaze. Paired with a good fish fillet, steamed vegetables and brown rice - my tummy is satisfied each night. It's been a mix'n'match pan-hopping love affair!

#2 My favorite new cooking tool.
The Lean and Mean George Foreman Grilling Machine



Did I just hear a collective groan from the general public? Early apologies but I am going to start sounding like a crazed homemaker with a hysterical testimonial. But yes, the George Foreman Grill is amazing!!! Three points why I love my new grill.

#1. I'm saving electricity by not having to fire up the entire gas stove for just two fillets of chicken breast. And I don't have to stand over a charcoal BBQ for the same effect.
#2 I can actually SEE all the fat drippings come out of the grill, therefore reducing fat content in the food. That of course, results in a healthier dish
#3 Cooking is lighting fast! For fish, you can grill up fillets in 4 minutes, both chicken and steak take about 5 minutes. Voila!

I've started developing my own recipes and while I don't see myself in the running for Top Chef anytime soon, I'm really enjoying this new culinary side of me. Last night, I made grilled catfish with low-fat yogurt, tumeric and cumin, with a side dish of green beans and sauteed soy mushrooms and it was pretty darn good. Top that off with a desert of mocha ricotta creme (recipe courtesy of South Beach Book) with a bonus piece of Ghiradhelli dark chocolate for good behavior. Who says dieting has to be a sacrifice?


P.S. I dropped a dress size!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home