Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Long Way Down



Happy New Year!

I ended 2005 by (finally!) finishing the novel A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. How apt. The novel tells four different stories of dispair: the wash-out TV presenter, the religious mother who cares for her son, the rebel punkette aka the 'poor little rich girl' and the rockstar wannabee. What they have in common is they all attempt to commit suicide on New Years Eve at the same rooftop. The novel was hilarious from start to finish but scared me a bit because I could relate to a lot of the issues there. Not that I'd ever want to commit suicide but somehow it gave me an inside scope on what goes inside the heads of those who do. I'm still not sure if I like the novel but it did get my brain cranking. It's a dark read definitely, but hilariously so.

Isn't there a song that goes ... "suicide is painless?" Opps, it's from the theme from M*A*S*H.

Incidentally, MY new year's celebration was far from desperate. We celebrated with all our loved ones and had a grand time. Lots of love, lots of hope and lots of prayers for the New Year. I hope yours was great too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home