Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Crash

I've become really selective about the movies I watch. Not that it's by choice but with all the responsibilities tugging at my sleeve, I don't have a lot of time. Since Crash won this year's Best Movie Oscar, I figure it should be good. It wasn't just good. It blew me away.



If you haven't seen the film yet, I won't spoil the ending for you. But here's what I liked about it. The film doesn't tackle prejudice and racism as a national issue but as something deeply personal and encountered everyday by everyone. The story unfolds through life vignettes of the multi-racial characters in urban melting pot Los Angeles. The film acknowledges that racism and reverse racism exists in this day and age, even 51 years after Rosa Parks made a stand. Or rather, stayed in her seat. One difference lies between the racism of the past and the racism of today. Instead of being loud and violent -- it's repressed, polite and tight-lipped. This is the first film I've seen that depicts it faithfully as experienced in life. I felt oddly liberated after watching the film. My gut instincts and fears about living and surviving in America validated. It was the Significant Human Experience, shared.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josephine said...

I SOOO loved this movie. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but I knew that if it was endorsed by Oprah, it must be worth seeing. We finally got the DVD (yeah, like we have time to go watch a movie like normal people!) and we were up until 3am watching it, and discussing it for days after. I loved it. I love all the different perspectives coming from such a great ensemble. It was worth the Oscar, if you ask me :).

11:49 PM  
Blogger bumpydays said...

i agree, it's rare that hollywood movie moves me these days too. Crash is is so eerily engrossing because you read and hear about it everyday. Even in the Philippines... nice sharing, Auey :)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Erwin said...

Just stumbled across your blog and this review. Totally agree. Crash manages to steer away from political correct film making without becoming incorrect. It's a giant leap forward in us helping each other understand the mechanisms of interracial exchange, tension and misunderstanding. Absolutely loved it!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home