Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Inconstant Gardener


I started a new hobby. With the help of totally awesome book You Grow, Girl! and some cyber pals, I sat down one day in a patch of land and started digging away. I'm not *quite* ready to commit to an entire garden but I did commit to a few potted plants. Under my ward now are three pink dahlias, 1 sunflower, 1 lantana and several zinnia seeds that have yet to make an appearance. There are also some shrubs and assorted greens an aunt gave me. After two weeks of on and off gardening, I've learned some stuff.

#1. Gardening is a great bonding activity for a parent and a toddler. Who could ask for more? The toddler digging in the dirt, looking for worms and slugs while you can work on the more ardouous tasks nearby. It's bliss.

#2. Wearing gardening gloves is absolutely essential. I like feeling the grit of soil between my fingers but I can't stand being bitten by fire ants, getting tiny rocks under my nails, and minute cuts from sharp leaves.

#3. Digging in soil brings out the inner child. I honestly don't know why people hate weeding. I love it. I'm constantly looking for little weed sprouts to dig up and unroot. It's so much fun!

I know I must have the green thumb gene in me somewhere. My greatgrandfathers on both sides were farmers so maybe instinct has kicked in. Let's see how this newest project fares. I want to try growing herbs but our backyard doesn't receive a lot of sun, so I don't think that's feasible. I must do research on shade-loving plants.

The lyrics of one of my favorite rock musicals come to mind. The Little Shop of Horrors

I've given you sunshine
I've given you dirt.
You've given me nothing
But heartache and hurt.
I'm beggin' you sweetly.
I'm down on my knees.
Oh, please-grow for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home