Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Monday, July 18, 2005

My Sister's Wedding


The whole event went by in a blur - blame it on jetlag. I got up at 4:30AM because I kept tossing and turning. I had gotten to
bed at 2am (after helping chose music at bridal march/processional, do floral arrangements and make signs) and well, I guess my body clock had reverted back to nap time because I didn’t feel tired at all. I cooked pancakes for everyone and made coffee. Joli got up around 6:30, an hour later than she had intended to and we had so many things pa to rush. We had to iron her clothes, set her hair, do her make-up, do my own hair and make-up and be at the chapel by 8AM to
arrange the flowers and signages to the reception. Just a wee bit stressful.

So we did what we could (I didn’t have the chance to do fix my hair anymore, just combed it). When we got to Wisconsin, we realized we forgot the candles for the unity candle ceremony, and also the bubbles for outside the chapel. Oh well – never mind the bubbles. Kevin had to drive back for the candles.

When we finally got the flowers arranged, I did a few bridal portraits with Joli (you can see them, the ones outside with Joli) and in her dressing room. The venue is so beautiful and we really got some wonderful photos. I had a bit of time trying to figure out the natural light, mainly because it kept shifting. But I am extremely happy with the photos.

It was a very small party – about 20 people as guests. The minister was this red-headed grandma. Very motherly. She started off the ceremony with the Lord’s prayer and then asked us, who gives Joli away? The entire party said “we do.” Then, she read some passages of the bible, gave a sermon, exchanged vows, unity candle and kiss the bride! All done in 20 minutes! We had a short picture taking outside, for the group picture, it took awhile because I had borrowed a tripod and it was broken so it took a few trial and error shots.

Then we headed the reception area – the food wasn’t set up. And wow, we really had to mingle. Since it was a small party, everyone stood up and really had conversation. I enjoyed talking to a bunch of Joi’s friends from the lab. I especially like Sanjay and his wife Tina – they promised to invite us over for a dinner of Indian food.

The food was good, although it was set up late. We had bbq chicken, roast beef (carved by a waiter on the spot), roast pork, rice, 2 types of salad, various rolls and buttered veggies. For drinks, they served soft drinks and each table had one bottle of wine each. It was a good summery white wine. The only disappointment was the cake – not only was it very “plain” looking (super corny design), they did not use buttercream as Joli ordered – it was more of thick marshmallowy type frosting, overly sweet. The cake itself was chocolate and tasted like it came from a mix. Rachel was very disappointed saying she could
have done 200% better and it was true. I was very very amateur for a $300 cake. As for her flowers, I could
have done her bouquet as well. Sabi ko okay Rachel, we should go into wedding coordination here in the U.S. and as a team– and we’d do great!

Dancing followed, the DJ had a weird mix of songs although it was fun. He played a mix of R&B, the Motown, then pop – but the show stopper was when he played super Indian bollywood type music and Nandini (Joli’s friend) lead a dance and a lot of them joined it. It was a lot of fun. And keeping in tradition, Kevin made a fool of himself dancing something between an Indian dance and the funky chicken. Everybody had fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home