Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Monterey is more than a Meatshop

Okey, forgive me when the first things that pop in my head after hearing the word Monterey are shortribs, BBQ cut and ground beef. Apparently, Monterey is more than a meatshop. It's a beautiful coastal town, and it's just 90 miles away from where we live. How fast can you say, Road Trip??

Driving down Highway 1 brought us past some of the most beautiful landscape and coastal seascapes I've seen in my life. After following mapquest's directions and getting lost once - we finally made it to the oh-so-touristy Cannery row. Yummy taffy, small tourist traps and jazz players. John Steinbeck once wrote that fish were no longer caught here, nowadays it's tourists that get caught and drawn in. Despite the cheese and busloads of Japanese tourists, we really enjoyed it. Being close to the beach always made us happy. My son literally squealed when he saw the sand. In less a minute, his shoes were off and he was frolicking on the shore like the three year old he is.

Monterey Bay Aquarium was amazing. We had so much fun looking at the stinky penguins, the sea otters, and the jelly fish. My favorite moment was when Axel poked and proded a sea cucumber. The marine biologist on duty was especially alarmed when she saw him smooshing it around and patting it like a puppy dog.

In the afternoon, we went on our own way to look for some grub when we saw the sunset going down on the bay so we took a quick detour. The air was salty and fresh, the seascape was rough and wild. I wanted to capture photos of the beach, which was lined with huge rocks smattered with some patches of green and violet. Despite my many layers, I wasn't dressed warmly enough, my fingers were shaking as I clicked the shutter and the wind kept knocking me over. I didn't even attempt to set up my tripod.

When we arrived at the hotel again, there was a power outage. Yes, apparently these things happen in the United States too. The innkeeper tells us there was a tree that fell down on some power cords. So what were we to do? Good thing the innkeeper decided to throw some logs in the fireplace and build a fire. It was so rustic and old-fashioned. Some other guests came into the lobby and we enjoyed some chitchat. Axel warmed up to a golden retriever named Chance. After about 45 minutes, the electricity came on and we went to our rooms and promptly fell asleep with our dreams filled with happy thoughts. You know it's a perfect day when even the bad parts are good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mickee said...

I love Monterey too! Unfortunately, I haven't taken the Hwy 1 route yet. Next stop for you guys - Lake Tahoe and Yosemite. A must-see! :)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Meeting of minds - we were thinking of spending a weekend in Monterey/Carmel soon..atleast before I go back to work. Which hotel did you guys stay at - worth recommending? :) Glad you guys had fun!!! Did you go to Carmel at all?

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home