Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Everything Old is New Again

I am really getting old.

Today, I was watching music videos for the first time in ages and I made one conclusion to my own horror: the 80s are back with a vengeance. One video had a very electonica sound, with guys in coordinated outfits. It truly paid homage to glam cheese. The second video I saw was the new one by Madonna. She sports a Flashdance tanga and performs the matching choreography throughout the video, which is plagued with long edit cuts, flat lighting and bad hair. Truly a mark of the 80s.

What disturbed me most was that Madonna actually made her name in the 80s and she is now reviving it in the new millennium. What even drove the nail harder was that I witnessed both eras and am old enough to remember the 80s clearly to recognize it for what it was: a decade of excess, bad taste in fashion, and in my father in law’s words “strombotico” manner. I always did see myself as a hippy.

Maybe by the time I hit 40, the down groove of the 70s and 90s will be back. I can only hope. And wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home