Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Box in the Basement

Something beautiful and unexpected happened today.

I was tapping away on Gandalf (the White, my ibook) in the basement, composing some email to some egroup -- when I heard some movement in the box in front of me. Now this box was filled with rustry Xmas tincans and assorted candy boxes (my sister's idea of organizing) so my immediate suspicion was there a mouse lurking in the box. Now, dealing with mice is not my cup of tea but I do know first hand that a mouse left alone in a trapped area will probably die there and end up stinking up the whole basement. I had to face my fears. Remove that dreaded mouse from that dreaded box in this dreadful basement.

Still in my pajamas, I went upstairs, gingerly lifting the box from the bottom with both hands - taking special care not to hold the box's inside for fear the little critter will use my hands as a "ladder." Then I strategized that I could bring the box up the driveway, and tip it over to the side so the mouse could run free into the fields! Of course, that is if the mouse wouldn't get squashed by the tin boxes.

You can imagine my surprise when I noticed the sound from inside the box was not a squeak but more of a squawk. Hmm...I proceeded to remove the tinboxes to unveil a tiny black bird. Reminded me of Matthew from Sandman. Weird! How did he get into the house and how did he land in the basement? I can only imagine. I put the box to the side and he hopped off a bit - that chirped a final farewell (and perhaps thank you?) and flew off towards the neighbors house.

Funny how life is. You expect the worse, jump in to face your fears and find out things aren't so bad after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home