Third World Eyes

we've moved! visit www.thirdworldeyes.com!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Bay Area, California, United States

A devoted mom, wife, daughter. Workwise, a former DJ, TV producer, web editor and a freelance photographer. A jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Marriage Advice from Beyond the Grave

I was cleaning my grandmother's old drawers and came across this typewritten "mainfesto" of sorts tacked in one of her diaries. I read it and laughed out loud for its outdated wording and Stepford sensibilities but it slowly downed on me that there's some something to be learned from it.

I don't agree with everything but it's fun to read. Do keep an open mind as you read it. Take note my grandma and grandpa were married 61 years!! This must have been written in the 1920s.

THE HUSBAND'S 10 WISHES TO HIS WIFE AND VISA VERSA

The HUSBAND TO HIS WIFE:

1. Make yourself beautiful for me too, not only for your visitors.
2. Do not make me responsible if your friends are in a better position than yourself.
3. Do not waste all the beautiful things I have bought for our home on strangers.
4. Regard your calling as House-wife in the same earnest way I do mine.
5. See that the meal to which I return home is ready when I enter the house. Hunger causes peevishness.
6. Confide your worried and troubles to me alone. Do not make your friends your confidants.
7. Have no secrets with strangers or relations against your husband. Your husband is your best friend.
8. Do not be more considerate of your furniture and dead object than of your husband's nerves.
9. Get up so as to be ready when I leave the house. I like to speak a quiet work with my wife in the early morning.
10. Do not let anger cause you to utter ugly and insulting words.

THE WIFE TO HER HUSBAND:

1. Do not leave the house without telling me where you are going to.
2. Make no reproaches in the presence of strangers.
3. Take my side when other people are present, even though I may be wrong.
4. Tell me what you have to say in a kindly manner.
5. Do not blame me for all that happens in the house.
6. Do not let me wait in vain for your return home, but let me know in case you came later.
7. Treat me with the same consideration as you treat your employees or colleagues.
8. Allow me to purchase a few requirements and grant me some pleasant amusements.
9. Be courteous and chivalrous to me although we have been married several years.
10. Devote some of your spare time to me, so that I may be sure that I can give you recreation and relaxation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quirkygirl said...

Ohmigoodness, I made a mistake. She was married 61 years before my grandpa died. Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home